Thursday, June 15, 2006

As good as it gets

The past month has been a hectic one for me but I am not complaining at all. I achieved what I thought was initially impossible but as it turns out it could not have been better. I shot two birds with the same arrow ... Firstly I achieved excellent results out of my co-op assignment and secondly I managed to defend my algorithm as part of my M.S project requirements. Even more satisfying was the fact that my H1-B visa application was selected in a lottery.

My car (Civic 96) has been at the receiving end of my wanderlust. I have put significant miles on my car this summer due to my travel plans. I suddenly feel there is so much happening around me these days ... I love the outdoors ... I recently did some white water rafting in the Adirondacks on the Hudson river. To tackle the rapids was wholesum fun. It never occured to me that there is so much more to New York than merely Niagara Falls and New York city. After having driven 900 something miles in two days, I retired to the blissful comfort of my bed. I have a week or so left on the east coast before I fly out to Seattle.

As I wind up the words of our rafting guide keep ringing " Life is good .. How do we do it? This is how we do it". Our guide was an inspirational character. He had been taming the rapids for over 25 years and he made us feel every bit comfortable on the trip. He was greeting all his peers with infectious enthusiasm chanting out his favorite lines. It made me ponder how one can turn a relatively mundane task into a thrilling activity. For him, this trip must've been a piece of cake yet he lead us through it as though it were his first. He had a perfect vision of the incumbent dangers and ensured our smooth passage without any hassles. To add to his excitement was his witty sense of humor which kept us occupied when the waters had calmed down. It is the attitude that one has in life that determines whether or not one enjoys what he/she is doing. We all at some stage in our lives have cribbed about our monotonous work schedules. I might be comparing apples and oranges over here .. as the software industry demands are radically different from say a rafting guide duty. If you are in love with nature, there is no better job in this world than being a rafter.

Here is a testimony to the fun we had on the waters of the hudson river




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home